Full time, Permanent
OrthoCanada’s mission is to improve the health, wellness and mobility of Canadians. Founded in 1989 by physiotherapist Judith Stanfield, our current president, OrthoCanada has grown from a small family business to a Canadian leader in the distribution of specialized rehabilitation and general health products. Our team consists of dedicated individuals who thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and are seeking to learn and contribute in as many ways as possible.
Under the supervision of the VP of Operations, the Purchasing Manager is responsible for the purchasing team and all of the purchasing activities of inventory, including activities involving direct interface with the shipping team and sales team as it relates to the purchasing and inventory of product. He/she is responsible for working with the purchasing team to optimize purchasing and inventory volumes. Ultimately, the Purchasing Manager knows the inventory status, evaluates the ongoing needs, prepares the necessary purchase orders or ensures purchasers are placing necessary PO’s. The Purchasing Manager is responsible to make sure all policies and procedures are up to date and being followed by the purchasing team.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage and coordinate all activities related to purchasing and inventory optimization, excluding office and shipping supplies.
- Maintain a cost focus – balance demand and inventory levels to optimize order fill rates (minimize back orders) and minimize inbound shipping costs, without holding excess inventory. Find overall lowest-cost solution for purchasing and inventorying products.
- Quarterly review of products, vendors and changing demand.
- Communicate with suppliers and transportation providers to place and negotiate orders, coordinate delivery, resolve any issues in cooperation with logistics.
- Utilize knowledge of shipping procedures, routes and rates to efficiently manage timing and cost of shipment.
- Create, maintain and expedite purchase orders in Business Central Microsoft Dynamics.
- Work daily with sales team to coordinate and communicate regarding unfilled orders, back orders, estimate arrival times.
- Manage and follow up on supplier refunds, credits and returns.
- Work with vendors to strengthen business relationships, negotiate costs, identify opportunities and address challenges as they arise.
- Support the sales and customer service group with sourcing, addressing back orders, resolving product claims, etc.
- Maintain files pertinent to purchasing.
- In collaboration with the other relevant departments, participate in the verification of inventory accuracy, rotation of stock, cleanliness and warehouse optimization. Work closely with the Planner, Warehouse Manager, Logistics Manager, Director of Accounting as necessary.
- Work with the accounting and warehouse teams to ensure accuracy of inventory levels, and make appropriate inventory adjustments.
- Determine space requirements and verify/coordinate capacity (warehouse space) and location with Warehouse Manager and Logistics Manager prior to ordering any large or abnormal shipments.
- Assist with year-end inventory count and coordination.
- Communicate feedback to VP of New Products & Innovation about new products, assign products/ vendors, review buy loads, and track where the various products are in the development cycle.
- Create and maintain item records.
Review and Documentation:
- Upon order confirmation, note any cost changes from suppliers. Maintain log of all approved changes.
- Note any discrepancies and what actions will be taken. Pursue claims as appropriate with discretion.
- Verify all quantities and costs (including shipping charges) are correct on the supplier invoice before signing off and sending to Accounts Payable.
- Verify average shipping costs vs. product shipping costs recorded in the Master Pricing Spreadsheet, and communicate meaningful discrepancies to the Finance team.
- Identify discrepancies between inventory recorded in the ERP vs. count on shelves and pass error information on, including steps taken and findings when investigating to find the cause of the discrepancy.
- Continue to build on OrthoCanada’s reputation as the #1 provider in the rehab industry in Canada.
- Focused on growth and profitability of OrthoCanada.
- Assist in evaluating and integrating future acquisitions, with a particular focus on inventory, supply chain and costing.
- Work on other special projects with senior management as they arise.
- Provide assistance and training to staff as needed.
- Delegate functions as possible. Provide training and supervision.
- Other various tasks
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS :
- University-level education.
- PMAC, SMCA or equivalent.
- Proficiency in English and French, strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel.
- Management and leadership skills and experience.
- Strong analytical, negotiation and supplier relations skills.
KEY SUCCESS ATTRIBUTES
- Attention to detail
- Customer focus (both external customers and internal team)
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
- Energy and stress management
- Decision-Making and Judgment
- Problem Solving (investigative skills)
- Result Focus
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Ability to delegate and supervise.